Monday, October 18, 2010

Halloween Destinations--If You Dare!

The Stanley Hotel, Estes Park, Colorado (The Shining)

As I’m getting ready to leave for another conference this weekend-New Jersey Romance Writers Put Your Heart In a Book Conference-October 22-24th, I realized Halloween is just around the corner. I need to shop for treats for the trick-or-treaters. I just got back from Romanticon and as soon as I sort through my photos, I’ll post some here and on Facebook. But for now I was thinking about fun, creepy vacation spots for Halloween.

The leaves are changing all those beautiful colors, the air is crisp. It's a great time for hiking or bike rides. I checked out favorite getaway hot spots for Halloween vacations. Or I should say “haunt” spots. Here are a few suggestions:

The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado
Remember The Shining Stephen King’s novel turned into a movie. This is the hotel. After Stephen King spent a creepy, isolated weekend here with his family in the early 70s, he got the idea for his novel. Good luck getting room 217, where King is supposed to have stayed, or room 408, which is considered the most haunted room in the hotel. Creepy, oh yeah. Each year the proprietors throw a “Shining Ball”. The hotel celebrated its 100th birthday last year.

Queen Mary Corridor


The Queen Mary Hotel in Long Beach, California
The Queen Mary is probably the second most talked-about ocean liner in the world, next to the Titanic. Launched in 1934, it was retired in 1967 and is now a floating hotel. The last four decades, its developed a reputation as a paranormal hot spot. A very eerie place, but very beautiful.




The Hotel Del Coronado in Coronado, California
The Hotel Del Coronado is located near San Diego and is considered to be the most haunted hotel in the country. A pricy location for a get-away spot. Way too pricy for me. Kate Morgan is said to be the shy ghostly resident.


The Logan Inn in New Hope, Pennsylvania
I have to add my own choice of a Halloween vacation get-away, because I’ve stayed in this one a few times but not around Halloween. The town does have a ghost tour. I always wanted to do that. The Logan Inn was established as an inn in 1727 and is the longest, continuously run inn in the United States. New Hope is a small village along the Delaware River and is said to be the most haunted town in America. And the Logan Inn, one of the most haunted buildings. I didn’t see any ghosts while dh and I stayed there. But I did have rather strange dreams.

During the Revolutionary War they used the basement as a crematorium. Guests and staff report seeing soldiers wandering the halls. The original owner’s mother, Emily is said to haunt room six by opening drawers, rearranging luggage, changing the heat in the room. The scent of lavender sometimes drifts around a painting. The Logan Inn is my pick. Although I would like to try the Stanley Hotel too.
What are your ideas for a Halloween vacation?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been on the Queen Mary, hoping to see a ghost, but didn't.
My in-laws ate at the Del Coronado while we were in CA. Had I known back then it was haunted I would've went with them. :)

I'll be staying at the Hawthorne Hotel in Salem MA in Nov and April. They say it's haunted too. Maybe I'll come home with a ghost story or two.

Have fun in NJ. I think next year will be my year to go. I'm only a few hours away. I wanted to go this year, but I could only attend one this month...so Romanticon it was.

Kathy Kulig said...

Salem, MA sounds like a great town for a few ghosts. The Hawthorne Hotel looks like a lovely place to stay.

Unknown said...

Stanley Hotel would be my choice too for a Halloween stay. I always had a soft spot for The Shining, back when King's writing was actually scary.