Sunday, February 17, 2013



Guest Author Virginia Nelson

-Tell us a little about the book and where did you get the idea to write this story.

 ETERNAL LOVERS - Sekhmet’s Guardians – Book One –combines Native American lore and ancient Egyptian mythology in a multi-plotted cross genre paranormal romance. Eternal Lovers is also the first book in an eleven book series. 

Blurb - When two hidden worlds collide near modern day Lake Michigan, Jennifer, a young Native American, is confronted with the reality not everything is as it seems and things do go bump in the night. The questions she has long since asked are answered in this epic tale of self discovery when she meets Gabriel; the director of Guardians Incorporated.
Born in New Tuat, Netchkhet, now known as Gabriel, came to Earth some five thousand years ago to protect the human race, Disillusioned because of an unfulfilled prophecy, he has become cold and distant - even from those of his kind. Secretly, he waits for his enemy to take his head so he may leave this world for good.
Can a tiny Selkie melt his hardened heart and restore his faith in a power far greater than himself? When history repeats itself, can he save her from death's embrace or will they be robbed of a future again?

- What’s the best and worst part of being a writer?

Finding enough time to do everything that is expected from an author is probably the hardest part of being a writer in our day and age. Many years ago when I first started writing an author’s job was to write. Editors who worked for large publishing houses actually published and promotional gigs were scheduled by a staff member.

- What is your writing schedule like?

I’m up between 4 and 5 am. After a cup or two of coffee I hit the computer, check my mail, messages and Face book then switch gears putting myself in writer mode. I’m very much a pantser and love to sprint when writing out first drafts so for the next few hours I will hammer out words on the keyboard in thirty minute sprints – taking fifteen minute breaks between them to refill my coffee cup and check messages. I work pretty diligently until 2pm at which time I take an hour break, eat lunch and hopefully do some minor housework. When I return to the computer I tend to switch modes again and use the next couple hours to do edits and revisions.  During and sometimes after dinner I go over my days accomplishments with my soul mate. Since I rise early in the morning I’m usually headed to the bedroom by 9pm where I manage to watch a tv show or two before opening up my current reading selection. I read till I fall asleep then wake up and do it all over again. Sundays are the only day I tend to take off and are spent with family and friends.

- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?

Regardless what genre an aspiring writer chooses I strongly recommend joining and becoming an active member of at least one writers group. The support and lessons one receives from others of like mind is priceless. Personally, I belong to three chapters of RWA among other writer organizations. My second tiny bit of advice I might offer would be to apply what you have learned through those organizations but most importantly listen to your heart. Sometimes rules are meant to be broken – I know I have broke more than just a few recently.

- Are you seat of the pants writer or plotter?

I write what I see or experience in my dreams so I would have to say I write by the seat of my pants. During the revisions I may reapply plotting techniques to heighten story content. 

- Have any of your titles ever been changed from your original choice?

My individual titles have remained the same although the name of the series did change from Guardian’s Incorporated to Sekhmet’s Guardians.

- If you could turn any of your books into a movie which book or series would it be?

I would have to say Sekhmet’s Guardians. In fact, I have often referred to it as my night time soap. The first book in the series, Eternal Lovers is currently in the hands of a movie producer and is being considered for production.

- Do you have a character in one of your books that continues to haunt you at night or surprised you when you wrote the book?

That would be Gabriel, the leader of Sekhmet’s Guardians. The man caused me to loose many nights of sleep until I finally started to write out his story. He continues to amaze me as he delivers their story through my dreams.

- Which actor screams SEXY to you?

Dwayne Johnson aka the ROCK
- Do you write full time or work outside of the home?

I’m a retired teacher who wrote non-fiction for over twenty years. Currently I am a full time author who enjoys her life in sunny Arizona.

- A lot of people think that genre hopping isn’t a good idea. What do you think?

Personally, I am inclined to believe new authors should try their hand at a variety of genres. One may like to read one genre and think that is where their heart and destiny is but without giving each a try –you will never know.
 

- Are you an outgoing person? YES

 - Are you a morning or night person? Morning

- Is there something about you or your life that readers might be surprised about?

Up until a couple of months ago I would have to say my personal relationship with my high school sweetheart was somewhat of a secret. In 1966 Tom and I, both young teenagers, ran away to get married. Sadly we didn’t go through with it and as fate would have it we ended up getting married to someone else and loosing touch with one another. Thirty years later we were reunited and are now planning on formally tying the not at the http://www.romancenovelconvention.com  World famous cover model Jimmy Thomas will be performing the ceremony. What better place to get married than a romance convention?

-Do you write a novel straight through? Or revise as you go? Plan a whole series in advance? Or does the series evolve?

As previously mentioned, I write what I see in my dreams so the stories unfold night by night, sadly not always in chronological order. I tend to write out the complete first draft before making revisions. Usually while I am making the revisions, rewrites and edits the next book in the series begins to unveil itself to me. My characters from each book move forward into the next in the series.

- Do you use Beta readers? I use both beta and post readers in addition to utilizing my critique group.

- Which books were the most fun to write? The hardest to write?

The series along with my urban fantasy, Cupid and Penelope have been a blast to write. The hardest is a current WIP entitled, Sins of a Man, the story of a Mafia hit man. The hero is a difficult man to deal with so I tend to write his story in small blocks.

- What’s next?

Eternal Nights – Sekhmet’s Guardians – Book Two -  will be released in May followed by Eternal Blades, book three in December, 2013. I also have several other WIP that should be released within the next couple of years.

- Would you like to share something surprising about you that not many people know? See above wedding plans.

- For fun. What is your favorite kind of chocolate or chocolate dessert? (I love chocolate covered cherries)

Chocolate covered macadamia nuts. 

Purchase links:


AMAZON – US

Eternal Lovers – Paperback -  http://tinyurl.com/b8ll29b

Eternal Lovers – Large Print - http://tinyurl.com/ae3u6lv

Eternal Lovers – Kindle -          http://tinyurl.com/amvlphl

Cupid and Penelope – Paperback - http://tinyurl.com/ayn33ud

Cupid and Penelope -  Kindle -        http://tinyurl.com/bfyue39

Author’s website – http://www.authorvsnelson.com

Youtube for Eternal Lovers.


 

Excerpt from Eternal Lovers – Sekhmet’s Guardians – Book One

Lance met Marie and Kathleen upstairs and shared the unhappy news about Jennifer with them. They disappeared for a few minutes then returned to the dining room to wait for the California group to arrive. Both women said they lit candles and said prayers on Jennifer’s behalf, each to a different deity. Marie was born a mortal in Spain some three hundred years ago and held fast to her Catholic upbringings, while Kathleen was born from two turned immortals. She practiced the old religion, as did her parents. 

The Guardians held their secrets tight from most others, but here in the house they all shared, he felt it necessary to prepare the others for what was coming. It did not look good.  He’d already made his way to the sound studio downstairs and informed the band members. He also informed Harold in the kitchen as to what was going on. He sent a text message to Roger, to alert the guards around the estate.

Raphael called ahead and reported from the plane that Jennifer was unconscious after being attacked by a breed. Three hours after her encounter in Hollywood with her husband and his breed lover, she was still in, deep shock. She was alive after the breed attacked her, but she remained in some kind of comatose state. Her eyes were open, glazed over and slightly rolled back in her head. She hadn’t spoken since they rushed in and found her. She wasn’t responding to sound or touch in any manner.

Lance put a call in to Michael to come to the estate immediately. Michael, another Ancient, was skilled in the art of ancient and modern medicines. He hoped Michael could help her, as he was more gifted at removing memories than any of the others. Raphael told him Gabriel and himself were both too distraught to even consider trying it themselves. Raphael also said Gabriel was a wreck. He sat on the plane, holding Jennifer like a doll, talking to her, hoping to get some kind of response. 

When the group pulled up in front of the home, the front door was opened by Harold. His usual smile was replaced with a grim frown. There was sadness in his eyes, the kind you see when someone dies. He knew the old gentle breed made sure Jennifer’s room was cleaned, her bed sheets were changed and the covers were neatly pulled back waiting for her.

Alice entered the house first, tears flooding her eyes as she looked up and saw Marie and Kathleen waiting next to him. Behind him, stood Mick, Thomas and the other band members who recently came up from the basement.

He stepped aside and Mick stepped forward through the crowd of people, Alice ran to Mick with tears streaming down her face. Mick embraced his lifemate and held her as tight as he dared. Then everyone heard her cries, “Oh Mick, I can’t lose her… I just can’t.”

Lance saw the pain on Mick’s face as he held on to Alice. Immortal men, including breeds were known for their superior physical and emotional strength, but when it came to their lifemate they were just the opposite. The love bond that was created when one took a lifemate allowed each individual to share in their thoughts and their pain. The emotional pain Alice was feeling was now Mick’s, in addition to the pain he already felt for seeing the one he loved in such a state.

Mick looked up at Michael as he started to walk to the front of the house from the dining room. Michael quickly waved a hand over the two and Alice quieted almost immediately. Mick nodded his thank you and remained silent as he continued to hold on to Alice.

Marie and Kathleen stepping back were embraced by their lifemates. Both of them were on the verge of breaking down and needed the comfort of their males.

He, along with everyone else, watched as Gabriel walked through the door carrying Jennifer. Gabriel was so big and Jennifer so small, he looked as though he was carrying a child. Michael pushed through the crowd of on-lookers to get to the two. He stood in front of Gabriel, looking at Gabe’s heartbroken face then put his palms on Jennifer’s temples while looking into her glassed over eyes.

“Take her upstairs,” were the only words Michael spoke.

Gabriel headed for the stairs with Jennifer, followed by Michael. The crowd broke up, some heading for their rooms, others like himself, headed into the bar. He needed a drink—a strong one. It had been a long time since he had seen his brother in the shape he was in tonight.

Lance should have known what was going on with Gabe but he hadn’t paid any attention to his strange behavior. It had been so long since Gabriel showed any kind of connection to anyone--no wonder he dismissed the idea all together. But now that he thought about it, Gabriel’s feelings for Jennifer had been right there in front of him the entire time.

He thought back to the night of the party and remembered Gabriel coming into the pit asking him to find Jennifer. He assumed it was because Gabe was trying to avoid her. Now he knew the truth… Gabriel was in love. May the Goddess help him. If Jennifer didn’t recover soon, he didn’t know what Gabriel would do. He was never the same after he lost Akhakh, the one and only female he had ever loved. 

Lance hammered down a double shot of bourbon, then another. Thomas came in the room and put his hand on his shoulder then asked, “Did you know?”

He knew what Thomas was asking—did he know about Gabriel and Jennifer.

“Not until today. It never dawned on me. In fact, I thought Raphael was making time with her until this morning when we couldn’t find her.”

Thomas said his goodbye after pouring them another drink. He leaned on the bar and drank quietly, hoping Michael was taking care of things upstairs.

#

Thanks for visiting the Passion Sense Blog, Virginia. Best wishes for a wonderful wedding. How exciting! Say hello to Jimmy and give him a hug for me. J

No comments: