Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Guest Blog: for readers who enjoy "that sort of thing"

Erotic Romance Author Delphine Dryden
Photo by Brenda McMillan

Visiting with us today on the Passion Sense Blog is erotic romance author Delphine Dryden. She's talking about her book Roses and Chains, one of the books from the Ellora's Cave author series 1-800-DOM-help, a BDSM line.

-Tell us a little about the book and where did you get the idea to write this story.

Roses and Chains is about a married couple who are just starting to move towards a D/s lifestyle, and the additional partner they pick up along the way. I got the idea after reading a rather snide article somewhere online about "Unicorn Hunters" (established m/f couples with one or more bisexual partners who are on the lookout for that mythical, magical, perfect bisexual third to share their bed and/or life). I've also been reading a lot of my friend Geonn Cannon's work lately, and his specialty is stories featuring lesbian characters who aren't all about being lesbian. They just ARE, they don't really think about it, it's just inherent in the worldbuilding. So I wanted to explore the same sort of dynamic with bisexuality, a story where that was a given and the people involved really weren't concerned about analyzing that part of their sexuality.


- What is your writing schedule like?

All over the place! I'm supposed to write while the kids are at school. Unfortunately, the last two years of writing full time have done nothing to change the fact that I'm essentially a night owl and I'm really just getting warmed up to write by about the time they get home. So just as when I had a day job, I end up doing most of my writing late at night or on the weekends. I will probably never make up my sleep debt as long as I live.

- How did you get started writing novels?

 I started by writing fan fiction. One day, when I was working on my third or fourth novel-length fan fic, I had a thought that I should really work on something original that was novel-length. Then I remembered there's a term for that already: "writing novels." So I did!

- What advice would you give to aspiring writers?

This sounds obvious, but I would advise them to write. Write, write, write. Write bad drafts of novels, write short stories, write little character sketches about weird people you met that day. Actually I often suggest that people find a fandom and write some fan fic. It gives you a chance to write something long and receive a whole lot of feedback, while working within an established universe with known characters. You can build an awful lot of skills that way fairly painlessly.

I also push people (forcefully, passionately, push them) to participate in things like National Novel Writing Month. Or writing groups with a challenge aspect or word count requirement. Anything that puts the emphasis on getting words down on paper, instead of getting bogged down in thinking about planning to maybe write something, someday, when you know what you're going to write. You really can't know until you write it. Get it down on paper first, then worry about what you've written.

- If you could write another genre other than romance what would you write?

There's another genre? I think now that I've started writing romance, I'll probably always think of things in those terms when I'm writing. I suspect just about anything I wrote would end up with enough romance elements to be categorized that way. It's all about relationships, anyway.

- Are you seat of the pants writer or plotter?

A little of both. I have a structure in mind when I start, and I go back and fill in ideas about plot as I go. But I don't do a lot of outlining in advance, and once I start writing the story itself I'm pretty much just pantsing. I don't always wind up where I thought I would.

- Have any of your titles ever been changed from your original choice?

Yes indeedy! My very first title for EC, "Snow Job", was originally "Frostbite." My editor said (and I will never forget), "That's not even close to sexy." So I changed it, and have certainly gotten many a comment about the new title. But I still like the original one!

- If you could turn any of your books into a movie which book or series would it be?

Probably When in Rio. Especially if I got to go to Rio during on-location filming!

- What's next?

I'm waiting to hear back from my editor about the next "Truth & Lies" book, tentatively called "Tangled Truth". It's Drew and Eva's book, and it is shibari-tastic! I suspect she's going to want some revisions, however, so I'm sort of biting my nails until I hear from her. I've also got two short stories coming out in print anthologies later this year. One's a lesbian vampire story called "Al Dente" in the Cleis "Girls Who Bite" antho, and the other one is "Safeword" in the Berkley Heat Agony/Ecstasy anthology. So flattered to be in that collection, with Jane Litte as the editor and with stories by some authors I'm a rabid fangirl for! Plus I have a few other submissions out and about that I'm still waiting to hear from, one at a publisher that is new to me (my fingernails may never be the same).

- For fun. What is your favorite kind of chocolate or chocolate dessert? (I love chocolate covered cherries)

I adore 70% or darker chocolate with a nice smooth mouth feel, like Green & Black or Dagoba. And anything from Moonstruck Chocolates, also. But then I tend to think the most delicious piece of chocolate is whatever piece I'm eating when you ask me :-D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BLURB: Take one adorable suburban couple just starting to realize their D/s relationship isn’t quite enough to satisfy. Add one cute and quirky sub who can’t seem to find a Dom to suit her tastes. Place them in a room full of sex toys and candlelight, roses and chains…
And after a few smoking-hot nights of pleasure and exploration, all three just might find what they’re looking for.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm looking forward to meeting Del at Romanticon in Akron, Ohio in September. She and Christine d'Abo will be participating in the 1-800-DOM-help workshop titled: BDSM From Top to Bottom. Del and Christine are also presenting their own workshop on steampunk. Can't wait for that! I hear she has a very cool costume planned.

Want to know more about Delphine and her books? Check out her website and blog: http://www.delphinedryden.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great interview. Interesting concept behind your newest book. I'm sure it will be another great addition to the series.

Amber Skyze

Kathy Kulig said...

Hi Amber, Yes, I think it's intersting twist to a BDSM story. Great characters too.